On this day 8 November 2018

Moorhen


Even with my new camera and the best will in the world, it's hard to get a good photo when the sky is so grey. 
November is such a low month, not many crisp fresh mornings or sparkle from the Christmas lights, it just seems hang about like a bad mood. I have been going to the park despite the weather as I am not going to see anything sat at home , and I do always feel better once I have been for a walk.



A male and female Goosander have arrived back at the pond, in the past they have overwintered here with the Tufted ducks. Being avid fishers I think these birds put a big dent in the fish living in the pond last year. Thankfully over the summer months the fish numbers did build up again.



I have been keeping a close eye on the fields in the small holdings between the two parks (Kirk Lane and Nunroyd) as the Redwings have been feeding there, only saw two today. Robin and Dunnock were annoying each other, which they seem to do all the time.
Blackbird, Great tit, and Blue tit were searching through the leaf litter.

On this day 3 November


To day was the day to try out my new  camera, It had not been set up properly but was happy to get use to some of the buttons on manual. Weather still not on my side as the sky was heavy with the colour grey.

Walking into Kirk lane park there is usually House Sparrows in the hedge, not recorded in the park they prefer to be near the houses round the park,  but today there was a small group of Long-tailed tits. This little but surprisingly fast bird was one of the main reasons I wanted a new camera, my Nixon with it's super zoom was so slow to focus, Lon-tail's had moved on to the next tree by the time I was ready, photo of a stick anyone! I have plenty.


Even though it was dark it's one of the best photos I have got of this cutest little bird, I was imprest with the camera.
A cormorant flew over.



Roses

The sky over looking the pond gives the sense of pending doom.


Two more Tufted duck have turned up, Black-headed gulls , Mallards and Moorhen on the pond.

Black-headed gulls

Leaf floating on the pond

I watched a Grey Squirrel strip the seeds of the Ash tree, quite happy chomping away.

You can take photos in Black and White.


Macro setting to get a photo of this Daisy popping through the leaf litter.




 On this Day 2 November
(NIXON camera)

Nothing much about today, apart from the odd Redwing and a very noisy Wren


Wren


Redwing
27 October 2018

I was going to join in the wild flower hour over on twitter, you have to try and find ten wildflowers that are still flowering, these flowers were all found in the old car park on Nunroyd (did not get round to posting) we had had a lot of sunshine in October and it had been  a mild month. It will be interesting to do again at the end of November . I think I will be hard pushed to find many, although the Daisy seems to hang on and will pop up with a bit of sunshine.


Dandelion (Taraxacum),Groundsel (Senecio vulgaris),Shepherd's Purse (Capsella bursa-pastoris)

Smooth sow-thistle (Sonchus oleraceus),Common Knotgrass (Polygonum aviculare) Creeping Thistle (Cirsium arvense)

Fat-Hen (Chenopodium album), Common Fumitory (Fumaria officinalis), Black Nightshade (Solanum nigrum)

I'm hoping I have got them all right, all classed as weeds in some peoples eyes, but a late passing insect will not mind as long as it can feed.
I have a great set of books by Roger Phillips  there is one on
Garden and field WEEDS.


Scentless  mayweed (Tripleurospermum inodorum)

4 comments:

  1. November is a dismal month to be sure, but you have captured some great images regardless. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, it's good to get out even if the weather is not at it's best as you don't know what you might find.

      Delete
  2. So glad you are managing to get out - photos with your new camera are superb :) Your park looks a great place to spot nature. I was in Brueton Park Solihull yesterday and thought how much I wish it was closer to home - its about 25 minutes away by car on a good run!

    Lovely to see the goosanders and well done for finding some flowers for the wildflower hour challenge. I keep thinking I must tweet some photos during that hour.

    It had just stopped raining yesterday and the light was so dull and gloomy and not good for getting photos so I can sympathise with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RR, very lucky to have this place just 5 minutes down the road from me, always surprise what I can find. Discovering i might need to take both cameras out some days, both have there good points.

      Delete