On this day 6 October 2018

Female Blackbird


Well today did not turn out to be the best day at the park, set of while it was dull and gloomy . While trying to get photos of the birds amongst the bushes in Kirklane park, a lady asked me to look at a bird that was on the ground.

Turned out to be a young Collard Dove, I found out later they leave the nest and don't fly for a few days, this is when people pick them up thinking they are injured.

The young bird was in danger of been picked up by a dog or cat, there was no safe place to put it, looking very sleepy and not bothering when I picked it up, I decided to take it home. Get it warm and some food.

After many YouTube videos, I was able to give it some food, and placed it in some straw in a box. To be honest it did not look well and passed away a few hours later. 




Thrush


Chiffchaff  (Ithink)


Snowberry

Yew
Yew

At the approximate centre of Scotland, at the eastern end of one of its longest glens, grows what is Scotland's, and possibly Europe's, oldest tree. The Fortingall yew in Glen Lyon has been estimated to be anything from over two thousand to nine thousand years old. A popular legend associated with this yew relates how Pontius Pilate was variously born under this tree or played as a child in its branches, suggesting that the tree was already a landmark over two thousand years ago. Though the Romans did not invade Britain until 43 AD, several expeditions had visited from 55 BC onwards. Various interpretations suggest that Pontius Pilate's father was on a diplomatic mission to a Pictish King when news reached him at Fortingall of the birth of his son, or that his wife had been travelling with him and gave birth at Fortingall......read more

Young Collard Dove

Brown roll-rim (Paxillus involutus)

(New for me and a new species for the park records)


From its general shape this deadly poisonous gilled fungus might be mistaken for a 'funnel' (Clitocybe genus), except that its gills are various shades of brown rather than white, and its spores are brownish where as funnels have white spores.

Brown Rollrim (also written Roll-rim or Roll Rim) is classified as a gilled member of the order Boletales, and like the boletes themselves it forms ectomycorrhizal relationships with trees - both hardwoods and conifers.










Shaggy Ink Cap (Coprinus comatus),
I took the bird back to the park, I simply did not want to just dispose of the body ! placed it in some long grass under a tree , in a wild area at the park.

I did manage to find two fungi, after many visits there has been very few fungi growing in the park this year. Might be due to the dry weather.

Walking back through the two parks I came across a nana looking after two young children, the youngest would not get in the pram or walk, screaming and making like a "starfish" , the child decided to remove her wellies and wanted to walk through the mud in her lovely pink tights. I did feel for this lady.

Dogs running wiled chasing Squirrels!, I stood in dog muck! A dad shouting... and I mean shouting at his son, not sure why but conkers were involved !

Lastly just to finish of my not so restful walk was the two local drug/ alcoholics , drinking on the park bench. They were absolutely SMASHED .


I think it's less stressful in doors ! 

Related image

4 comments:

  1. Talk about a mixed bag of a walk! What a shame about the Dove, at least you tried and I think taking it back to the park was the best idea x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Pam for leaving a comment, I could't just leave it there and it's something I would not normal do, as I think nature is best left alone. But I am glad I tried.

      Delete
  2. lol! Love the photo at the end :) Sounds a rather eventual walk to put it mildly. You did all you could for the poor young Collared Dove which is what matters. Poor grandmother! I don't remember my kids playing up too much although my son always seemed tantrum prone in Clarks shoe shop and the doctor's waiting room!! I do wish people would clear up after their dog! Nothing worse than constantly watching where you are walking in parks and public footpaths.

    But a lovely set of photos and some great sightings Amanda. Lovely to see the fungi photos :) Hope you next walk there is less eventful!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RR, for leaving a comment, photo at the end is just like how I felt at the time! Hoping there will be some more fungi over the next few weeks to record, and mu next visit is less stressful.

      Delete