On this day 25 July 2018

25 July 2018

Ringlet butterfly

To day I had gone back to the park to look for more fish in the pond, as it was the light was not shining on the pond so could only see the small fish round the edge. I was lucky enough to photograph a Common Darter / Dragonfly, (two) which were happy enough to land to sun them self's. 

I did a butterfly count at the area next to the head of the stream entering the park, having studied the park for so long now I know what areas to look in for different species from plants to insects.

This particular area has thistles flowering and the odd  Ragwort plant which has been full of  Ringlet's the last few visits. To day I recorded my first Small Copper of the year.

I recorded the odd wildflower still showing despite the very hot weather we have had.

Hoverfly

Large Skipper

7 Spot Ladybird

Small copper Butterfly/ Ragwort -wildflower
Bumblebee

Meadowsweet/Wildflower

Black headed Gull

Common Darter / Dragonfly

Yarrow/ Wildflower

Large White Butterfly 

White dead-nettle/Wildflower

Great Willowherb/ Wildflower

Great Plantin/ Wildflower

Mallard

Crocosmia 'Lucifer'/ Flower (Garden escape) think that's the right name.


Common Darter / Dragonfly



Moorhen 

Scentless Mayweed ? /Wildflower

Harlequin Ladybird

Spear Thistle/ Wildflower

Harlequin Ladybird
 Had hoped this was a Ladybird, but came back as a Harlequin Ladybird, just thought the small spots were unusual. 
As you can see in the Harlequin Ladybird below how big the spots can get.

Harlequin Ladybird/ Japanese Knotweed


Hydrangea/ Plant

Hydrangea/ Plant


Nesting Wood pigeon 

Small White Butterfly


Hydrangea/ Plant



3 comments:

  1. It is wonderful Amanda that you have such a great park so close - a super selection of sightings which show the value of visiting an area often and studying it :) Love the Small Copper on the Ragwort. Small Copper is one of my favourite butterflies.

    A lovely selection of images :) Thanks so much for the link - loved reading this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for leaving a comment, yes I like the fact I have been recording here for sometime now and I can see the changes, the group that started a few years back looking after the park are doing a grand job at keeping it litter free, looking after the Swan/ducks on the pond. They have a Facebook group which I have joined. I have been posting some of my photos there. They have organised a bat walk,coming up soon. Hopefully I can go if it is not a Friday night.

      Delete
  2. Glorious photos as usual, Amanda, and the I particularly like the one of the female Mallard - so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete